Monday, April 9, 2012

Keating Woodworks



A few weeks ago I attended the Architectural Digest Home Show.  It was really great to see so many gorgeous furnitures pieces, lighting fixtures, etc. in person, all in one place.  Vendors promoting furniture constructed using traditional joinery techniques and natural looking, unvarnished materials made up a strong contingent, which was really wonderful to me.  I love the trend of celebrating materials and using traditional fabrication techniques.  In this and the next few posts I'll highlight a few of the vendors whose pieces I drooled over.


Above: Detail of Keating Woodworks' Spindleback 2 1/2 chair.  Love everything about it: material, construction, finishing.  I love when you can see how things are put together.  I also love the tagline of this company: Made in the Midwest With my Bare Hands.  Don't get me wrong, I still love Ikea and their mission (to create a better everyday life for the many people), however there is something truly special about things made by hand.  I like to think about (and appreciate) how much effort and time went into the creation of pieces like this.  I think that if you can afford it, it's important to support craftsmen/women who can create such beautiful work as this.


Image from www.geoffreykeating.com, which, incidentally, is as beautiful a website as the goods it showcases.  Here's another shot from the site:


No comments:

Post a Comment